When we think of bedroom furnishings, the staples come to mind: the bed, nightstands, wardrobes, and perhaps a dresser. However, there’s an unsung hero that many overlook: the corner chair. This unique piece of furniture, placed strategically, can transform an otherwise ignored corner into a functional and aesthetically appealing nook.
Here’s why corner chairs are invaluable additions to any bedroom and some pointers on selecting the right one.
Best Corner Chair for Bedroom Ideas
Comfortable Corner Chair for Bedrooms
Small Corner Chair for Bedrooms
Types of Corner Chairs
Wooden Corner Chairs
Wooden chairs exude a timeless appeal. Whether you’re drawn to the rustic charm of a pine chair or the polished elegance of mahogany, wood offers versatility that can complement both contemporary and classic bedroom interiors. Their durability is an added benefit. With proper care, a wooden corner chair can be a long-lasting piece, potentially even an heirloom. The type of wood and finish you choose can also dictate its style. For instance, a dark walnut stain can feel opulent and traditional, while a light birch or oak has a more Scandi-modern vibe.
Arm Corner Chairs
An arm corner chair is the epitome of comfort and luxury. With supportive armrests, these chairs beckon you to sit down, maybe with a book or a warm drink. They’re particularly suitable for larger bedrooms where space isn’t an issue. Beyond comfort, the design of the armrests can be a statement in itself, with options ranging from sleek and modern metal designs to plush, upholstered styles. When choosing an arm corner chair, it’s essential to ensure it doesn’t overwhelm the space. It should invite relaxation without dominating the room.
Upholstered Corner Chairs
For those seeking both comfort and aesthetics, upholstered corner chairs are the way to go. They come in an array of fabrics, from luxurious velvets to durable cottons, and in countless patterns and colors. An upholstered chair can serve as a neutral piece to blend with your existing decor or as a statement piece that pops. These chairs offer the advantage of cushioning, making them ideal for extended sitting. However, maintenance can be a bit more demanding. Depending on the fabric, you may need to consider professional cleaning or the use of fabric protectors.
Metal Frame Corner Chairs
Metal frame corner chairs bring a touch of industrial chic or modern minimalism to a bedroom. They are sturdy, durable, and often have sleek designs that can save space in tighter areas. Typically paired with cushions or upholstering for added comfort, they can be both functional and stylish. Metals like wrought iron or brushed nickel can offer a distinctive look, whether you’re aiming for a rugged, industrial feel or a clean, contemporary aesthetic. Another advantage of metal chairs is their ease of maintenance – a simple wipe-down is often all that’s required.
Rattan and Wicker Corner Chairs
A nod to bohemian and coastal styles, rattan and wicker chairs are perfect for creating a laid-back, relaxed vibe. Light, airy, and often associated with tropical climates, these chairs can make a bedroom feel like a vacation retreat. Despite their delicate appearance, good quality rattan and wicker are surprisingly durable. Paired with plush cushions, they can be incredibly comfortable. For those seeking an earthy, natural aesthetic, these chairs are a fitting choice.
Related: No Closet Kids Bedroom Room Ideas (That Work!)
Why Are Corner Chairs Useful?
- Space Savers: In smaller bedrooms where space is a luxury, utilizing corners becomes essential. Corner chairs are designed to fit snugly into these spaces, maximizing room utility without making it look cramped.
- A Personal Retreat: The bedroom is not just a place to sleep; it’s a sanctuary. A corner chair can become that perfect spot to read, journal, or simply relax with a cup of tea.
- Enhanced Aesthetics: With the right chair, you can elevate the ambiance of the room. It becomes an accessory, a statement piece that reflects your personal style.
- Functional Utility: Whether it’s a place to drape the day’s clothes, a seat for a guest, or a spot to tie your shoes, the functional uses of a corner chair are myriad.
Check out the video below for more reasons you should consider a corner chair!
How to Choose the Right Corner Chair?
- Size Matters: Measure the available space meticulously. The chair should fit comfortably without obstructing pathways or feeling squeezed.
- Material Choices: From rich leather to plush velvet, from wood to metal, the material of your chair should resonate with the room’s existing decor and be comfortable for its intended use.
- Color and Pattern: While a neutral chair can seamlessly blend with any decor, a vibrant or patterned chair can be a stunning focal point. However, ensure it doesn’t clash with existing patterns and hues.
- Functionality: Consider chairs with added storage or those that can be folded and stowed away. If you’re looking for added relaxation, perhaps a chair with a footstool or reclining features might be apt.
- Comfort: It’s crucial. Sit on it, lean back, and imagine spending time on it. A beautiful chair that’s uncomfortable serves little purpose in a bedroom.
- Durability: Invest in a chair that’s sturdy and will stand the test of time, especially if it’s going to see daily use.
- Budget: While it’s tempting to splurge on a statement piece, there are plenty of budget-friendly options that are equally stylish and functional. Balance quality with cost.
Corner chairs for bedrooms are more than just pieces of furniture; they’re invitations to comfort, style, and utility.
By recognizing the potential of that once-forgotten bedroom corner, you can elevate the entire room’s aesthetic and functionality. As with all things interior design, the key is to align with your personal style and the room’s needs. Choose wisely, and you’ll have a corner that beckons you time and again.
KidSpaceStuff is a site dedicated to helping parents find the best interior design, activities, and inspiration for their kids.