If you’re anything like me, you know how important it is to keep our kids active, but let’s be honest—it’s easier said than done.
With the rise of digital devices, the challenge to encourage physical activity has become quite the mission. But don’t worry, I’ve got your back!
Pedometers can be a game-changer—they’re not just a neat gadget but also an engaging way to motivate our young ones to get moving. The element of ‘tracking’ can make those steps feel like an exciting game, and before they know it, they’re clocking up those steps without even realizing it’s exercise!
In this article, I’ll explore the best pedometers for kids, what you should consider when buying a pedometer, and much more. Let’s dig in!
Best Pedometers for Kids in 2023
This section explores the best pedometers available for kids, highlighting their features, benefits, and why they are worth considering for tracking and encouraging children’s daily steps. Check out our favorites below!
1. BIGGERFIVE Vigor 2 L
As a parent always looking for ways to inspire activity in my kids, I was thrilled when I discovered the BIGGERFIVE Vigor 2 L. This pedometer became a game-changer for us. From the moment I unboxed it, the sleek design and vivid color appealed to my kids immediately, and they couldn’t wait to strap it on their wrists.
Beyond its aesthetic appeal, the Vigor 2 L has shown remarkable accuracy in tracking steps, and the straightforward, user-friendly interface made it easy for my kids to interact with.
And talk about durability! This device survived several ‘kid-tests’, including impromptu water splashes and drop-offs from dizzying heights (aka the bunk bed). It is the perfect fit for my little adventurers’ busy, active, and sometimes unpredictable lifestyle.
Blue, Black, Lilac, Pink, Purple
- Uses advanced 3D motion sensors for precise tracking.
- Provides up to 30 days of use on a single charge.
- It can withstand splashes and sweat for worry-free use.
- Kids barely notice it’s on their wrists.
- Monitors sleep patterns for a fuller picture of health.
- A gentle wake-up without disturbing others in the room.
- Accurate and reliable tracking for steps and sleep.
- Durable and water-resistant – perfect for active kids.
- Excellent battery life reduces the frequency of charges.
- Easy-to-read display with a user-friendly interface.
- Lightweight and comfortable for all-day wear.
- The band may be large for very young or smaller kids.
2. Fitbit Ace 3 (Age 6+)
Our experience with the Fitbit Ace 3 has been quite remarkable. The enthusiasm was palpable as soon as we got it into our children’s hands.
Designed specifically for kids aged 6 and up, the Fitbit Ace 3 immediately struck us with its colorful, engaging design and its resilience – it’s made to withstand the boisterous energy of children.
What we found beneficial was its accurate tracking of our kids’ activities – from the number of steps they took to the time they spent exercising to their active minutes and even their sleep patterns. It provided us with a comprehensive view of their physical health.
It’s worth mentioning that my kids love the engaging animated clock faces and activity reminders. It’s been a delight to see them take charge of their physical activity, spurred by the fun features and the sense of competition the Fitbit Ace 3 has injected into their routine.
Black/Racer Red, Black/Racer Red, Yellow
- Tracks steps, exercise time, active minutes, and more.
- Monitors sleep patterns for comprehensive health tracking.
- Provides up to eight days of use on a single charge.
- Suitable for splashes, sweat, and even swimming.
- Features a backlit monochrome OLED touchscreen with animated watch faces.
- Allows kids to set their activity goals and earn rewards for hitting them.
- Can be paired with a parental phone for progress tracking and control.
- Reliable and accurate tracking of activity and sleep.
- Water-resistant and durable design suitable for active children.
- Impressive battery life of up to eight days.
- Engaging and fun features, including animated clock faces and activity reminders.
- Allows for parental oversight and control.
- Lacks advanced smart features like heart rate monitoring.
- Requires weekly charging, which might be inconvenient.
- The companion app could use more engaging features for kids.
- Limited color options may appeal to only some kids.
3. 3DFitBud Simple Step Counter
This step counter came to us as a breath of fresh air amidst the swarm of complex tech gadgets. Its one-button design is the epitome of user-friendly, perfectly suited to our child who, like many kids his age, loves straightforward devices. The large display allowed him to easily keep track of his steps, adding an element of fun as he watched the numbers increase throughout the day.
What truly impressed us was the accuracy of the step count, showing a deviation of only 2.7% from the actual count. Though there were online reviews that highlighted some discrepancies, our own experience could have been more satisfactory.
In fact, our son even turned it into a game, challenging himself to beat his step count from the previous day. The device is also incredibly lightweight and portable. Whether he clipped it to his shorts or used the lanyard to hang it around his neck, the 3DFitBud became his constant playtime companion, tracking his active hours effortlessly.
Black, Blue, Green, Pink, Royal blue, Plum, White, Yellow
- User-friendly, one-button design
- Large display
- Compact and portable
- Comes with a clip and lanyard
- Reliable and accurate step counting
- Simple to use
- Offers accuracy in step counting
- Compact and portable
- Long-lasting battery life
- Some users have reported difficulty resetting the device
- Lacks advanced tracking features
4. WAFA Fitness Tracker
The product combines the typical features of a fitness tracker with some other health-monitoring capabilities. Our child found it a fun way to monitor his daily activities. The sleep tracker, for instance, helped him realize how his late-night phone sessions were affecting his rest, while the pedometer motivated him to take extra steps each day to set a new record.
But, we did have some concerns. After just one day of use, we noticed some inconsistent readings in passive blood pressure monitoring compared to manual cuffs and smartphone apps. Also, the heart rate monitor delivered unreliable results during physical activity. The power button, too, became unreliable after a week. Yet, these shortcomings didn’t outweigh the benefits, and our child was still quite fond of his new gadget.
Green and Black
- Heart rate and blood pressure monitoring
- Waterproof capabilities
- Sleep and sports data monitor
- Oxygen saturation sensor
- GPS motion trajectory
- Sport kilometer tracking
- Calorie tracking
- Message reminders
- Accurate pedometer and oxygen saturation sensor
- Provides continuous real-time heart rate tracking
- Life waterproofing, thus, can be used in different weather conditions and for different sports
- Comfortable to wear and visually appealing
- Inconsistent heart rate readings during physical activity
- The power button tends to be unreliable after a week
5. Garmin Vivofit jr. 3
We’ve found the Garmin Vivofit Jr. 3 to be a fantastic tool for getting our child more active and interested in personal health. This kid-centric fitness tracker offers more than just step tracking – it gamifies exercise with various themed adventures and encourages responsibility by assigning chores via the companion app.
Black cosmic, Blue stars, Digi camo, Peach Leopard, Lilac flower, Pink
- Kid-focused fitness tracking
- Chore assignment and rewards system via the companion app
- Themed adventures to engage children
- Tracks steps, and distance and offers alarms and timers
- Optional Marvel and Disney accessories
- Swim-friendly design with a 5ATM water resistance rating
- Sleep tracking capabilities
- Emergency function and task timers
- Year-long battery life
- Long battery life, with up to a year of use on a single charge
- Encourages active lifestyle and responsibility in children
- Durable and water-resistant design
- Interactive experience with quizzes, games, and adventures
- Sleep tracking capabilities for monitoring rest patterns
- Requires a child’s phone for certain functions
- Occasional delays in auto-sync
- Inability to complete chores on the device
- Small screen size
- Screen quality is not the best
- Lack of GPS for location tracking
Things to Consider When Buying The Best Pedometers for Kids
When purchasing a pedometer for kids, there are several considerations to ensure it’s a successful and beneficial addition to their daily routine. Below are key factors to consider when buying a pedometer for kids.
Kids are often active and may only sometimes handle their gadgets carelessly. Therefore, it’s crucial to look for a pedometer that is robust, has a good build quality, and can withstand the rigors of child play. Look for features like water resistance or a sturdy strap for added durability.
Ease of Use
The device should be simple for a child to use. Complicated interfaces may frustrate children and reduce the likelihood that they’ll use the pedometer regularly. A user-friendly interface with a large, clear display and straightforward navigation is ideal.
Children may be wearing these devices for many hours, so the pedometer must be comfortable. Look for adjustable bands and lightweight designs.
Kids may not remember to charge their devices regularly, so having a pedometer with a long battery life can be very convenient. Some devices offer up to a year of battery life, an excellent option for kids.
Children are likelier to use a device that they find enjoyable and engaging. Look for pedometers with fun features like gamified fitness challenges, rewards, or customization options.
It’s essential to consider the safety of the device. This could mean opting for a device without GPS to protect your child’s privacy or choosing a device with an emergency function or panic button for added safety.
For more information about Pedometers, watch the video below.
The BIGGERFIVE Vigor 2 L stands out as our top choice for the best pedometer for kids in 2023. With its waterproof capability, extended battery life, and easy-to-use interface, it is designed to align with a child’s lifestyle effortlessly.
The device’s adjustable strap and lightweight design ensure comfort and wearability. Beyond tracking steps, it is a fun and engaging tool for children to develop a healthy lifestyle. Durability is also a key strength of this pedometer, making it a reliable choice for active kids.
Check out these related post!
KidSpaceStuff is a site dedicated to helping parents find the best interior design, activities, and inspiration for their kids.